Saturday 25 May 2013

A proper diet - hints and tips :)

In recovering from chronic illness, diet is so important! 
One of the positive things that has come from this year is that i have discovered i am a massive foodie. I love food!! I love cooking, and in december i went on a cooking course for a week in Putney in london where i met some wonderful people. I find cooking calms me down, and quietens my mind and most importantly has boosted my confidence and kept me mentally sane during times where i was bored out of my brain!
Before i got ill, my diet was relatively poor given the amount of stress i was under with my exams. I was living off a gazillion cups of tea and Special K mini bites which are PACKED full of sugar! My blood sugar was out of control, creating more anxiety and stress!! I now understand when i am stressed, that eating properly is fundamental. 
Here are some tips from me on my diet that i have followed:
  1. The MOST important thing i found is controlling blood sugar levels, so protein with every single meal was absolutely key for me. I also ate fish every single day (smoked mackerel on gluten free bread). Fish is proven to boost endorphins in the brain and increase happiness, decrease anxiety and is protein rich! So personally, i found a fish rich diet really beneficial. 
  2. Cut out gluten! Gluten is proven to be a stress on the digestive system, so by cutting out gluten i found that my digestive issues eased a lot. It was hard at first, but after a while i got used to it. I recommend gluten free oatcakes as a snack, and "Genius" gluten free bread (this can be bought from most supermarkets).
  3. Eat your greens! I try and eat as much fruit and veg as i can with every meal. It is so beneficial and energising. 
  4. Cut out caffeine! This was literally so hard for me to do! But there are definitely a lot of good herbal teas out there, and the last thing you want is a caffeine high stimulating you when you are tired and wired!
  5. Cut out alcohol! So hard i know, but obviously not great for your system having a lot of this. But the odd glass of wine will not hurt! We DESERVE it.
  6. Keep hydrated! Drink as much water as possible, it is calming for your nervous system and your body needs it!
As i am getting better,  i am indulging a little bit more and have the odd desert and non-gluten free slice of bread now and then! I think i find it important not to become too OCD with the whole thing and let myself go now and then. 


I had a nutritionist with the Optimum health clinic, however i found this too pricey to keep going. I do recommend getting one if you have just crashed or are tired and wired and your digestion is a bit haywire, as they can recommend good supplements to calm everything down.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”  ~Hippocrates

2 comments:

  1. found you through phx rising site and i couldn't agree more with you sister! check out my cooking channel on youtube---it's a real food, cooking haven. if you search "cooking with chronic illness" you'll find my episodes where i talk about my own journey with health a little more. but in the meantime, here's a URL for the channel itself.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/AriyeleKeepinItReal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab! Will definately take a look at your recipes :) !
    Thanks for reading my blog

    ReplyDelete